There is a growing call on the Sunshine Coast to make public transit free for students.
For background on this please see the following Coast Reporter article: SCRD Investigates Cutting Youth and Family Bus Fares and TraC Letter to the Editor.
This initiative has so many benefits. Creating a culture and lifelong habit of taking the bus lowers our collective CO2 emissions by reducing the need for parents and students to drive. It would also make getting around the Sunshine Coast more equitable, giving equal access regardless of household income. And of course, it would reduce the congestion on our all too busy roads.
Similar initiatives are gaining traction in many jurisdictions:
- Victoria to offer free transit for those under 18
- Powell River Looks Into Free Public Transit
- New West school district latest to endorse #AllOnBoard campaign for free transit passes for K-12 students and sliding scale for families, along with Vancouver, Richmond, Port Moody, Burnaby https://newwestrecord.ca/news/new-west-schools-on-board-with-campaign-pushing-free-transit-for-youths-1.23968339
- Burnaby Council Endorses Free Transit For Children And Youth
- Vancouver-park-board-gets #allonboard
We have created an online petition for people to demonstrate their support for this initiative. Please add your voice to the growing demand for for free bus passes for children and youth!